RONALD D. SIMMONS P.E., C.F.E.I.
Electrical and Electro-Mechanical Engineering
740 East 13th Street Houston, Texas 77008
- Continuing Education
- Registrations, Licenses and Certifications
Electrical and Electro-Mechanical Systems; Vehicles and Heavy Equipment; Electronic Control Systems, High Frequency Systems, and Semiconductor Devices.
- Pursued Master of Business Administration
University of Phoenix, 1995 - 1996
- Viticulture and Enology
University of California, Davis, California, 1991 - 1993
- Electrical Engineering
California State University, Chico, California, 1967 - 1968, 1974 - 1975
- Electrical Engineering
Pima College, Tucson, Arizona, 1972 - 1973
- Aircrew and Anti-Submarine Warfare Schools
U.S. Navy, 1969
- Advanced Electronics (Class A and Class C schools)
U.S. Navy, 1968
- Mechanical Engineering
California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, California, 1965 - 1966
- Twenty-five years electrical and electro-mechanical engineering experience, twenty years as a licensed professional engineer, over ten years of system design and testing experience, and over ten years of root-cause failure analysis experience.
- Primary areas of consultation include: electrical and electro-mechanical equipment failure analysis, industrial accidents, electronic control system analysis, and high frequency system analysis.
- Extensive experience in electro-mechanical system design, testing and failure analysis.
- Extensive experience in design, testing and detailed root-cause failure analysis of complex electronic systems.
- Hands-on experience in residential electrical system design and installation.
- Several years experience in over-the-road trucking as an owner operator. Experience includes operation, maintenance, and compliance.
- Considerable heavy equipment operation, troubleshooting, and analysis experience.
- 2008 - Present - McDOWELL OWENS ENGINEERING, INC. Houston, Texas
- Consulting Engineer Areas of expertise include residential electrical systems, electro-mechanical systems, complex electronic systems, vehicles, heavy equipment, and commercial trucking equipment. Primary responsibilities include site and evidence investigations; engineering analysis of system and component failures; electrical fault analysis; electrocution; electrical fires inclusive of vehicles, heavy equipment, and commercial trucking equipment; lightning; protective devices and control systems; and electrical equipment failure analysis.
- 2007 - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS Richardson, Texas
- Consulting Engineer Developed required hardware and software systems, then executed testing to characterize performance envelope of embedded semiconductor devices.
- 2005 - 2007 - ELM POINT PROPERTIES, LLC Center Point, Texas
- Real Estate Developer/Builder Purchased and improved raw land, then designed, constructed, and sold homes and small commercial buildings.
- R. A. SIMMONS TRANSPORT Center Point, Texas
- 1990 - 2005 - INTEL CORPORATION Folsom, California
- Quality and Reliability Manager Responsible for all aspects validating, testing, measuring, monitoring, and guaranteeing the quality and reliability of Intel products. This included operating and managing several state-of-the-art testing and failure analysis laboratories.
- Test Engineering Manager Responsible for the development, implementation, and execution of high volume test processes to guarantee the functionality and specification conformance of Intel products. This included development of all necessary equipment, hardware, software, and procedures.
- Sematech Research Engineer Assigned to the Semiconductor Industry Consortium in Austin, Texas as a senior research engineer. Functions included Sandia National Labs Project Coordinator and Project Manager for the Electrical Contact Reliability Study project.
- Senior Product Development Engineer Performed various engineering functions as a part of the design, development, and manufacture of semiconductor products.
- 1990 - 2005 - CANYON RIM RANCH El Dorado, California
- Owner/Operator Beef cattle and wine grape production operation.
- 1980 - 1990 - PACIFIC WESTERN SYSTEMS Redding, California
- Lead Equipment Development Engineer Team leader for the definition, design, and development of large scale electro-mechanical and electronic systems. These systems included state-of-the-art material handling machinery and high speed digital and analog electronic systems.
- Before 1980 - While a student, worked as an electro-mechanical technician for HUGHES AIRCRAFT and NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR.
- 1968 - 1974 - U.S. NAVY
- Anti-submarine warfare aircrew and aviation electronics technician.
- California Society of Professional Engineers
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
- National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Semiconductor Equipment and Materials Institute (SEMI)
- Semiconductor Industries Association
- Inventor and/or Co-Inventor on Several Electronics Patents (list available upon request)
- “A Strange New Source of Structure Fire Ignition”, ISFI 2012 Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Fire Investigation Science and Technology, National Association of Fire Investigators, Pgs. 585 - 595, 2012
- “Reflective Radiant Barriers: Good for Energy Savings - Bad for Fire Safety”, National Association of Fire Investigators, October 29, 2010 Click Here
- “Special Report: Reflective Radiant Barriers”, Fire Findings, Vol. 17, No. 3, Pgs. 7 - 11, 2009
- Numerous Electronic Industry Publications (list available upon request)
- “Radiant Barrier – Required Green Building Materials are Creating New Subrogation Opportunities”, NASP 2014 National Association of Subrogation Professionals, Orlando, Florida, November 10 – 11, 2014
- “A Strange New Source of Structure Fire Ignition”, ISFI 2012 International Symposium on Fire Investigation Science and Technology, College Park, Maryland, October 15 - 17, 2012
- “Hot Topic: Fires Involving Lightning & Reflective Radiant Barriers”, Cozen O’Connor 2012 Dallas Subrogation & Insurance Litigation Seminar, Dallas, Texas, May 23, 2012
- Numerous Electronic Industry Presentations and Publications over a 30 year period (list available upon request)
- Fire and Explosion Training Program, National Association of Fire Investigators, 2009
- Southwest Test Workshop (Numerous Seminars and Lectures Regarding Electrical Testing), Yearly from 1988 – 2006
- INTEL Reliability Symposium (Numerous Seminars and Lectures Regarding Electronic Product Reliability), Yearly from 2000 - 2005
- IEEE International Test Conference (Numerous Seminars and Lectures Regarding Electrical Testing), Yearly from 1980 - 2003
- SEMICON (Numerous Seminars and Lectures Regarding Manufacture and Test of Electrical Products), Semiconductor Equipment and Materials Institute, Yearly from 1975 - 2003
- Licensed Professional Electrical Engineer:
- Arkansas No. 15250
- California No. 13488
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (C.F.E.I.)
National Association of Fire Investigators
2009 by examination
Registration Number 14984-7823
- FCC First Class Radio Engineers License
- Certified Calibration Technician
- Certified Solder Technician
- Class A Commercial Drivers License